Chicken Shish (Şiş Tavuk)
Serves 4 (makes 8 kebabs)
• 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
• 4 tablespoons Greek yogurt
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
• 2 teaspoons dried oregano
• 1/2 ripe tomato, skinned and seeded
• 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
• Sea salt
• Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Put the chicken pieces into a mixing bowl. Add the yogurt, garlic, black pepper, oregano, and a good pinch of salt. Using your hands, squish the tomato into the bowl so that it breaks up. Mix it in well. Cover and marinate in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
2. Preheat the broiler or barbecue to high. Meanwhile, thread the chicken onto skewers and rub a little oil all over them. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until charred and cooked through. Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
From Turkish Delight by John Gregory-Smith © 2016. Photographs © 2016 by Martin Poole. Reprinted with permission from Kyle Books.