Baked Sweet Potato Chips with Green Chile
by Tom Byng and Fred Smith
This is one of the best and simplest recipes in Byron: The Cookbook. We love the combination of nutty sweet potato with the fragrant heat of green chile.
3 medium sweet potatoes (approx. 1 3/4 - 2 lbs in total), scrubbed clean
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 long green chiles, very thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 375˚F (190˚C).
2. Slice the unpeeled potatoes into chips 3/8 inch thick.
3. Put the chips in a large mixing bowl, toss with the olive oil and season with salt.
4. Spread the chips out in a single layer on a large, non-stick baking sheet—or use 2 baking sheets if necessary. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then turn the chips over and bake for a further 20 minutes, or until browned and crisp around the edges.
5. Remove the chips from the oven, place in a serving bowl and add the sliced chiles. Toss briefly and serve.
Reprinted from Byron: The Cookbook by Tom Byng and Fred Smith (Quadrille, 2016)