Tofu Skewers with Peanut Sauce
by Gemma Ogston
20 minutes, plus 1 hour for marinating prep, 20 minutes cooking
- 9 oz extra-firm tofu (I use chickpea tofu, but any firm tofu will do), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 small bell peppers, seeded and cut into large chunks
- 1 3/4 oz button mushrooms, left whole
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 small red onions, peeled and quartered chopped fresh chile, to serve cilantro leaves, to serve
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 7 tbsp coconut milk
- juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 fresh chile, chopped
In a shallow bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the marinade with 2 tablespoons water. Add the tofu cubes and mix well to coat. Cover and leave for an hour or so in the fridge to marinate.
When ready to cook, alternate pieces of tofu and the veggies onto skewers. Broil or barbecue for 10 minutes on each side, brushing with the remaining marinade. The veggies should be cooked through and a little crispy around the edges.
Serve the kebabs with any extra marinade as a sauce to drizzle on top, and scattered with the chopped chile and cilantro
Note: These kebabs are also great made with pineapple chunks instead of tofu—although the pineapple won’t provide the same iron and protein.